Trying to be Super Mom

I am part of a Facebook group called Circle of Moms and recently found this post by a harried working mother there.
The post read - “Hi all working mums! I work at a stressful office job, M-F 7am-3pm. There's of course my very active 2.5 year old son to care for, a household to attempt to keep clean, a dog, a cat, and a common law husband to feed...etc etc etc. I try to stay organized with the meals by planning them out on Sundays, but find that if I haven't pre-planned a meal, my stress level goes thru the roof!
Lately I've been feeling like I'm never caught up on anything, and just living in a perpetual state of trying to get there. At the end of most days, I'm bagged! Just wondering if any of you are feeling the same way? Or have any advice on how to break the cycle?”
I frantically read through the responses hoping to find an answer for a situation I am grappling with myself. There were 23 responses but none gave a solution. All other moms on the forum had posted their list of woes, worries and frustrations of trying to keep up with their work, household and children.
I’m not sure if I am in a position to help out this particular forum member as I know too little about her, here’s how I think these situations can be best handled –

  • Plan meals in advance so that there are no last minute stressors.
  • Once a week, order food of the family’s choice from a restaurant or go out for a meal. This way the family can spend time together as well you are spared of fixing one meal.
  • Put your kitchen supplies in place to avoid frequent errands.
  • Keep major cleaning works only for weekends.
  • Try to outsource as many odd jobs as possible. Don’t waste your time in doing things that you can easily get done from your domestic help or others.
  • Delegate responsibilities at home in the same fashion that you do at work. Be fair and just to everyone. At the same time, see to it that each person does his/her task right.
  • If you live in a joint family, speak to members you are close to about your stressors and try to find a solution.
  • If you have domestic help at hand, plan her work responsibilities smartly. Believe me, shelling out a few extra bucks for a maid is worth it.
  • Try to keep disposable plates, bowls, spoons and glasses at home. Use them whenever you don’t have domestic help or have unexpected guests.
  • Talk to your husband if the situation is getting worse. Sure, between the two of you there will be workable solutions.
  • Avoid taking on household responsibilities that you cannot handle. It’s Ok to say a No than being angry and frustrated about taking something on.
  • Squeeze time out for yourself. Even if it is for an hour on a weekend, go to the beauty parlor or a spa for a good head and body massage. You have earned it after a difficult work week!
Most importantly, accept and realize the fact that you are only human and cannot be a Super human. You will have your own physical and emotional needs. If you completely compromise on yourself, you will never be able to justice to being a mother, a wife and a professional.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

good suggestions....... liked the matter...

Post a Comment

 
Kontera Content Link